How to Get Cheap Australian Flights with Jetstar’s Price Beat Guarantee
Australia is a huge country. Thus often it is easier, cheaper and even necessary to fly between major cities.
In the past, the Australian market for domestic and international flights has been notoriously expensive. Especially when you compare it to the discounts that can be had in Europe with budget airlines like Ryanair, EasyJet and Norwegian.
However the arrival of budget carriers Jetstar and Tigerair in the market over the past decade has made it a lot easier to get great flight deals.
Tigerair usually offers the best deals and the cheapest flights. But Jetstar, a subsidiary of Qantas, is definitely the superior budget carrier in terms of comfort, safety and quality.
I always travel Jetstar and I always get the cheapest price by using a little travel hack called the Jetstar Price Beat Guarantee.
I’m heading off to Sydney this Friday, and then to Brisbane next Friday. For both return flights I’m flying with Jetstar which happened to be the cheapest option after I used the Price Beat Guarantee.
So What Is The Jetstar Price Beat Guarantee?
The Jetstar Price Beat Guarantee is a program by Jetstar in which they offer the cheapest price for a comparable flight.
If you can find a cheaper flight within one hour of a Jetstar domestic flight, or within two hours of an international flight they will beat the price by 10%.
Thus I get to avoid flying Tigerair while also saving 10% on what I would have paid.
The third benefit of booking your flights through the Price Beat Guarantee is that you avoid that pesky $8.50 credit card fee that applies to normal Jetstar transactions. Thus I can pay on my credit card and earn Qantas frequent flyer points on every dollar spent.
How Do I Claim?
Using the Price Beat Guarantee is easier than ever with a new online live chat for claims.
Here is a handy step by step guide to using the Price Beat Guarantee
- Search for flights for your dates on both Jetstar and Tigerair (or even just Skyscanner for international flights where you might have carriers other than Tigerair).
- Find the cheaper flight leaving within 1 hour of a Jetstar domestic flight or within 2 hours of a Jetstar international flight
- Write down the details of the Jetstar flight including date and time
- Visit this page and click on ‘start chat’
- A box will pop up asking for your details. Fill in the dates and times of the Jetstar flight you’ll be booking and the website of the airline carrier you want to price match with.
- Wait to be connected with an online chat operator
- They will then look to confirm the cheaper flights, ask you for your personal details, confirm the amount to be paid with the 10% discount and then open a secure box to input your credit card details and pay.
- Your tickets will arrive via email within 48 hours.
It is seriously that easy. The only downside is during busy times you might have to wait a while to be connected with an operator. I’ve waited anywhere from 20 minutes during a weekday, to 3 minutes on the weekend to be connected.
An example of how the Jetstar Price Beat Guarantee has worked for me:
- When searching for flights to Sydney I found a Tiger Airways flight for $85 leaving at 6.45am.
- Then I found a Jetstar Flight leaving at 7.35am for $115
- I used the Price Beat Guarantee tool as detailed above and they booked me on the Jetstar flight for $76.50
- Between the three tickets I was booking for myself, my mum and her boyfriend, I managed to save $115.50 than if I had just booked the Jetstar flight.
- I don’t have to fly Tiger and deal with being processed through their shitty shed terminal at Melbourne airport!
In the past month I’ve managed to save $250 just from the Price Beat Guarantee deal alone.
Feel free to comment below or email me with any questions you might have about using the Jetstar Price Beat Guarantee!
Looking for Hotels At Your Next Destination?
I recommend Booking.com due to their cheap prices and their amazing cancellation policies.